Skip to Content


Expand or Collapse all.

How do I know if I have a hold on my account?

Students can check for dates and times for registration each semester, They may do so by visiting the Check Registration Eligibility page on the registrars webpage or check Self-Service banner for any holds after you log in with your student ID number and PIN just go to the Student tab and click on registration status hyperlink for that information.



How can I schedule an advising appointment?

Advising appointments can be scheduled by call 512-245-1490 or stopping by the College of Applied Arts Advising Center in the Agriculture Building, room 201 and setting the appointment in person. If you are on campus you can also schedule appointments online here:

Appointments CANNOT be scheduled via email.

Do you take walk-in appointments?

If a walk-in advisor is available students will be seen on a first come first serve basis. Walk-in advisors are not always available. Also, walk-in advising is not for semester planning. Rather, walk-in advisors are available to answer quick questions. Detailed schedule planning would require a traditional academic advising appointment. Appointments can be made by calling 512-245-1490 or online here:

What is academic probation?


The catalog states that, Academic probation is "an emphatic warning that the quality of the student’s work has not met Texas State’s minimum academic standards and that the quality must improve during the probationary semester in order for the student to continue at Texas State. A student will be placed on academic probation at the end of the fall or spring semester in which the Texas State GPA is less than 2.00. A student will be removed from academic probation at the end of any long semester or summer term if the Texas State GPA is 2.00 or higher".

In other words, if your Texas State GPA falls below a 2.0, you'll be placed on academic probation.

What is academic suspension?

Instated on a student who failed to raise their GPA higher than a 2.00 at the end of the second probationary semester.

How long do I have to get off of probation?

Students placed on academic probation have two long semesters to raise their Texas State GPA to the minimum 2.0 required. Students who fail to raise their GPA at the end of the second probationary semester will be placed on academic suspension.

What is the "No show" policy?


Students who do not reschedule or cancel their academic advising appointments within one hour of the scheduled start time will be considered a “no show”. Students who “no show” three appointments with their academic advisor will be required to meet with the Applied Arts Advising supervisor. At this appointment the student must submit a written appeal to the supervisor and if approved they may then schedule an appointment with their primary academic advisor. A student who fails to keep their fourth appointment must resubmit a written appeal to the supervisor and if approved they may schedule an appointment with the supervisor only. This policy will be published on the Academic Advising Center’s web site and noted on the Advising Syllabus.

What if the classes I need are closed?

Academic advisors do not have the ability to place students in closed courses.

Closed class requests should be directed to the faculty and/or the department/school offering the course (if the course does not have a waitlist). For information about course waitlists click HERE

What is a degree audit?

A degree audit lists all of the requirements for your degree, including (but not limited to):

  • Minimum number of hours required
  • Advanced hours required
  • Writing intensive hours required
  • Residency hours (taken at Texas State) required
  • Core requirements
  • Major requirements
  • Minor requirements (if you have a minor)

The degree audit will note if a requirement has or has not been satisfied, or if it is in progress. Students are encouraged to use their degree audit report as a guide when planning their progress toward completion of the above requirements. Students are encouraged to make an appointment with their advisor for assistance in interpreting their degree audit. A degree audit is not an academic transcript and it is not official notification of completion of degree or certificate requirements.


How do I change my major or add a minor?

You can change your major or add a minor one of two ways:

·         Call 512-245-1490 and set an appointment with your academic advisor

·         Come by the College of Applied Arts Advising Center in the Agriculture Building, room 201 and fill out a change of major form.


Please remember that our advisors can only change your major if it is offered within the College of Applied Arts. The majors offered within the College of Applied Arts include:


- Agriculture

- Consumer Affairs

- Family and Child Development

- Fashion Merchandising

-Interior Design

-Nutrition and Foods

- Social Work

- Occupational, Workforce, and Leadership Studies(Applied Arts and Sciences)

- Criminal Justice


For information about the majors within the College of Applied Arts, please click HERE

What can I do with my degree?

 For information about what you can do with your degree click HERE

How do I become a Teacher?

The following majors within the College of Applied Arts offer teacher certification options:


Consumer Affairs

Family and Child Development


Occupational, Workforce, and Leadership Studies (Applied Arts and Sciences)-see advisor for more information about this major

Click the above links for more information about each major with the certification option.

In addition to the requirements of your major you would also need to apply and be accepted to the Teacher Preparation Program.  For more information about applying to the Teacher Preparation Program click HERE

If you are interested in pursing a teaching certificate please call 512-245-1490 to set up an appointment with your advisor.

Do I have to apply for graduation?

Yes, you will need to apply for graduation during the semester you anticipate satisfying all degree requirements. Click HERE for more information.

If you have participated in a previous ceremony you will need to reapply during the semester that you anticipate satisfying all degree requirements.

Graduation application deadlines can be found on the academic calendar HERE

What is the PASS Program?

All students within the College of Applied Arts that are placed on academic probation are required to complete the Partners for Academic Student Success (PASS) program. The PASS Program is designed to assist students on academic probation, by guiding them to the resources available to them on campus.

If I do not take any courses at Texas State next semester do I have to get re-admitted to the university?

Students who have been away from Texas State for one long semester and wish to return are considered former students. All former students must reapply in order to return to Texas State. For more information click HERE